Thursday, July 23, 2009

Will's first words will be.....

FEET FIRST! I am convinced of this. Bennett's first words were "Mama" and "Dada." However, at 10 months she started saying, "Go Bed, Meg." I thought this was odd. She bypassed the normal words such as ball, juice, or Bye-Bye and went straight to sending our dog to her bed. As I have blogged about endlessly, this showed me how many times a day I utter that phrase.

So, as I was holding Will today I started thinking about what he hears all day and have concluded that it is "feet first." He heard it constantly in utero as Bennett started climbing on furniture. We taught her to always come down feet first. She will repeat it back to me if she's not throwing a tantrum. But today I realized how many times a day I say it. I say it when she's climbing up the stairs and I want her to come down, I say it when she's climbing on the kitchen table, when she's headed down the basement stairs, when she's standing on the piano bench.... pretty much all day. Then I have to put Will down and put Bennett in time out. Then she hits me. In the face. Then we stay in time out longer. Then Will is crying. I have to leave Bennett. Then she climbs out of the time out chair and I have to say it again, "Bennett, come down feet first." Then she gets put in time out again for climbing down when she wasn't supposed to. Then Will cries because I have left him. Sigh....

The good news is that Bennett is finally getting it. She can now say, "Sorry." I don't know if she knows what it means, but it makes me feel better to hear it. And she will say, "M'am" which in her world is "Yes, M'am" when I ask her to do something. She helps me put clothes in the dryer, she helps me clean up messes, and she will say, "M'am" when I ask her to help. It's pretty dang cute.

Okay, I need to stop blogging now. Bennett is currently playing in her special hide out with her books, but any second she will be climbing something, I will say "Come down feet first," she will cry and get mad, I will put her in time out, Will will start to whine... you get the point.

1 comment:

Anna said...

i am SO glad to know that somebody else's kid hits them at this age too...not glad that she does it though, but it doesnt make me feel like mine is such a booger! we do time out too...in her pack-n-play. would never do it in her bed...but the pack-n-play is set up in the guest room and it works great! we'll see how it works this next week when she's expected to sleep in it. then again, she'll be in a different location all together! love and miss yall!