Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Anothery day in the nursery

Do you all know that you are supposed to label baby bottles and pacifiers every time your baby goes to the nursery? Yeah, well, so do I, but I always forget. I finally ordered labels for her bottle when she was 10 months old (I know, I know!) and I usually remember to throw a piece of masking tape on the paci as we are walking out the door, but that's about as good as it gets in my world.

However, I forgot this past Sunday. So I found a Sharpie and wrote Bennett's name on there in a hurry on the way to church. B fell asleep in the car and didn't wake up when we got to church, so we all decided to sit on the back row and I would hold her until she woke up and then take her to the nursery. Good plan, right? About 10 minutes into the service Rob looks over at his adorable daughter asleep in my arms and whispers, "Ummmm.... you do know that the Sharpie you used was not permanent, right?" What was he talking about? And then I saw the blackness all over Bennett's mouth and cheeks. And then I saw that horrible blackness all over my shoulder. Crap! I got Rob to hand over a wipe and I tried so hard to wipe her mouth with the paci still in and not disturb her. It was useless. She woke up. And then I didn't want to wipe her mouth in the service and make her scream in the middle of a very lovely worship set.

So I did the best I could and she went to the nursery with a slightly darkened mouth, no label on her paci, and a Mom with black smudges all over her shirt. I don't know if that's better than holes in my pants or worse than her crying the whole time, but you do what you can. I can't wait to see what happens next week.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

i can only imagine. but you handled it perfect. i miss yall bunches.

The Khans said...

You crack me up Lauren. At least you have a good spirit about it. I love that about you (among other things).