Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Grumbling

I heard a sermon Sunday night that has managed to stay with me for two whole days now. It's not that I don't listen to the sermons, it's just that I have a hard time remembering them. When your job consists of helping to plan the services, listening to the sermon outline a dozen times on the Tuesday before, contacting dozens of volunteers on Wednesday, running over the power point on Thursday, finalizing the production schedule on Friday, either rehearsing a drama or editing a video clip on Saturday, and then working from 6:30-12:30 on Sunday to make sure everything goes right- well, sometimes it's hard to remember the sermon in the midst of all that. Thanks goodness for my quiet times or I would be spiritually bankrupt.

But, going back to this sermon. Our teaching pastor, John Schmidt preached on grumbling. I won't go into his sermon or his points too much- that's why he's the pastor and I am just the tech girl. But, what I took away is that I grumble too much. Just as the Israelites did with Moses, I fail to see God's blessings over my grumbling.

When does the spouse that we thought was so wonderful when we were first married turn into a constant source of annoyance? (I am just hypothetically speaking, I promise!!!!) When does the house that we prayed for and seemed like such a blessing turn into a house that is too small? When does the car that met our every need turn into an old piece of junk without the latest gadgets? When are we ever satisfied? Could there ever possibly be a time in our lives when we say, "Enough. I have enough. And I don't need any more." Can we ever stop and say, "Lord, thank you for my husband/wife. They are a gift from you and I am so thankful. Lord, thank you for my house. I am so grateful and I don't need anything bigger. Lord, thank you for my car. It may not be the 2009 model that my friend has, but it suits my needs, and I thank you. Lord, my closet is full of clothes. I don't need any more. Father, I have no idea what it feels like to be hungry. Thank you."

Anyway, just a few rambling thoughts from someone who has actually visited third world countries and still has the audacity to grumble and complain. James 1:5 tells us that God wants us to ask Him for things and He will not resent our asking. I am taking that to mean wisdom, discernment, guidance, and even yes, things. I can't tell you how hard Rob and I prayed for Bennett, our new house, and even our used mini van. But, I want to stop complaining about things that I am so incredibly fortunate to have and spend a lot more time being grateful.

1 comment:

Brittny said...

thank you for that! we miss frazer so much and thankfully have finally found a church to fill it's large shoes. it's been 4 years, but we finally found one!