Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

Let's face it. Until my husband retires, I will never have the Mother's Day that you picture in your mind. And when he retires, I won't have three small children, so it's a mute point anyway. But since my very first Mother's Day, Rob always has to leave the house at 6:30am to be at church. So my Mother's Day mornings consist of feeding the baby, changing diapers, getting breakfast for the older kids, taking a quick shower if there is time, ironing clothes, yelling at  reminding everyone to hurry up, packing diapers bags, and rushing off to church.

And this year my kids were the ones who got breakfast in bed. But hey, it kept them occupied while I grabbed that quick shower. And in fairness my husband leaves sweet cards and gifts for me on the table before he heads out. But opening a card about how precious Mothers are loses a little of its sentimentality when as you're opening it, you have a baby drooling all over you and a three year old demanding juice.

But it was our first year being back in Alabama since 2008. Wow, that's a long time. The last time we were able to be here for Mother's Day, I spent the afternoon with my Mom, a 4 month old Bennett, and my beautiful Grandmother in her assisted living home.

This year we drove to a town halfway between me and my parents so we could see have lunch with my parents. I don't know if driving an hour after church with two hungry kids and a baby who needed to nap was the best idea, but we definitely wanted to see my Mom. We had a great meal and were happy we got to spend part of the day with my wonderful Mom!



Look at those three little things. I mean, did I hit the jackpot or what? Who needs breakfast in bed anyway? Okay, scratch that. I do. Maybe next year Mother's Day will fall on a Saturday. One can always hope, right?

But seriously, I hope all you beautiful mamas out there had a blessed day. We have a tough job. But every single bit of it is worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every year at our church, the kids sing. The littles choir and then the elementary school choir. Years ago a friend of mine (whose kids are now high school senior and college freshman) said it was the worst idea ever. She spent every Mother's Day rushing around to get her kids to church by 7:30 for the last rehearsal and then hurry to get a good seat so she could see them.

It now makes me laugh every single year because they still do it! Maybe those moms get afternoon naps....