Wednesday, April 8, 2009

To my Kansas friends....

After a rather enlightening afternoon with the Moms in my "Building Better Moms" group, I thought I should clear up a few things. I love you all, I am so glad that I am getting to know you, but ladies, you are oh so wrong.

First of all, this is a soda, not a pop. And really, if you want to get technical, it's coke. If you ask someone what they would like to drink and they say, "Coke," you then ask, "Which kind? We have Sprite, Diet Coke, Mountain Dew, etc.." But you can say soda and people will know what you mean. But it is not pop!


Next, this is the smocked dress I have told you all so much about. I know you don't understand why we insist in making our daughters wear these until they are 5, but we do. Hey, at least I wasn't planning on dressing my son in these. Some boys in the south wear these as well. I do have some limits.


We do not all have double names. But you're right, a lot of us do. In fact, the quarterback of our beloved Crimson Tide was indeed a double namer.


And finally, I have never ever ever in my whole life called a toboggan a stocking cap. I am glad you all told me this because I would have looked like a fool next winter. And I am going to give you guys the edge on this one, because really, we didn't need these in Alabama. We only wore them when we pretended like it was cold or when we went on ski trips out west.


I will say though that I think the name stocking cap is funny. It reminds me of my grandmother who used to curl up her hair with bobby pins after washing it and then put a pair of panty hose on top of her head for the night to hold the curls in place. At least she didn't have a double name.

3 comments:

Brittny said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I laughed so hard when I read this, because I totally understand where you're coming from!!! Even though I live in FL, underneath the southern states (but not considered "Southern" by any of them, all of our friends are from the NW region of the country and I've had to explain all of these things to them as well! Thank God (and I mean that, I do thank Him) for my friend Tiffany. She and her husband are from Texas where everything is bigger and better. She is the only one who knows and understands everything you just listed. For that I love you both dearly! : )

Kristin said...

Lauren, it is like reading my adjustment backwards when I moved to the South from growing up in New England.
Though I must say I had my share of adorable smocked dresses that became cute tops with red pants as I aged. (note that big huge hem in your photo :-)) My favorite was my "pumpkin dress". Of course growing up a redhead half my clothes were orange or green. This dress was orange smocked in red which sounds weird but worked and I think that dress graces 3 years worth of fall photos in my childhood.
As for the drink thing. I grew up saying "soda". Moved to NC and heard "What kind of Coke do you want?" So confusing but now I say it.
As for the toboggan thing. To me, that was a long wooden sled and moved here and they were hats. What? A snow hat is a sled? So confused. But there really was no need for a long wooden sled in NC. See the LL Bean catalog. Toboggans are sleds. :-)
Enjoy your adjustment! I love reading about it.

Caroline Armstrong said...

Oh my goodness that it incredible and makes so much sense! (I am Brittny's sister-in-law and she put a link to your blog on hers.) I live in Tennessee where everything you said is absolutely the truth! I can Amen to it all!