Thursday, April 30, 2009

A little harder the second time around

Whew!!! Did you hear that huge sigh of relief from wherever you are reading this? I wouldn't be surprised if you did, because I let out an enormous sigh every day I wake up without a blood clot. I am over 30 weeks pregnant now which is 2 weeks past when I got the clot with Bennett. Every day leading up to my 28 week mark, I was so nervous, and I continue to be every day this pregnancy progresses because I do not want to go back to when I had that clot ever again.

However, despite how terrible everything was for the last 2 months of my first pregnancy, I am starting to realize how good I had it. The obvious downside was that I could have potentially died, but who likes to think about that anymore? I did have to be in a wheelchair for a considerable amount of time and I was in a whole lot of pain. But let's focus on the positives, shall we? I got to lay on a couch 24/7, I had the most wonderful circle of friends who signed up for meals around the clock, I never had to do anything but rest and focus on the baby. Pretty sweet despite the circumstances.

Flash forward to this pregnancy. I have been on 2 shots of blood thinner every day since I was 6 weeks pregnant. I really try not to complain too much, but those suckers hurt!. Plus I have had them for so long now that both of my sides are just black and blue and carrying Bennett on my hips is slightly nightmarish. I don't really get to lay on the couch anymore. I am constantly cooking, changing diapers, running after a one year old, and climbing two flights of stairs multiple times a day.

Last night I told Rob that I didn't remember pregnancy being this hard with Bennett. He casually reminded me that I was waited on hand and foot for 2 months and didn't have anyone to take care of. Good point.

But despite everything, I am so thankful to be healthy and now that we are hitting the homestretch I am just ready to hold my baby boy and walk up a flight of stairs holding Bennett without feeling like I am going to pass out.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Girl. I am impressed you haven't complained up until now! It was so hard for me the second time too, and Grady was a LOT older than Bennett is. And yeah, that Lovenox is ouchie! I can only imagine. I almost puked every time the nurse brought it in when I was in the hospital. Just the anticipation...shudder. Hugs. You're in the home stretch.

Carmen & Eddie said...

You are a strong woman of faith!!! Here I am complaining to my hubby about the progesterone side effects (crazy acne and nauseus feelings all day long)!!! Hang in there your reward is soooo close!!!!!