Saturday, February 23, 2013

Happy 5th Birthday, Bennett

Oh, Bennett. You know that your Mom is just a big 'ole sap. I wish I could just buck up and say that I don't get sentimental every time that you have a birthday. But I do. I was looking at you all day yesterday thinking of my sweet little girl with two pigtails who would come running in clutching her sippy cup and saying in this adorable high voice, "Mo joooce! Kay Mommy?" I kept thinking of the long drives we would take in the afternoons looking for horses. You named every horse Beauty and Henry. You would stare out your window and call, "Boootttyyy, Hennwwwrrryy...where are you?" You called your brother "Will-men" and you would ask to go to Dis-a-knee.

Although I can't help but reminisce over the toddler that you were, I want you to know that I am so incredibly proud of the girl you are becoming. You are so creative, Bennett. And inquisitive. The way your mind is always working startles me sometimes. You are so polite to your teachers and they adore you almost as much as we do. You aren't quite as polite to your brother, but I am hoping that will change by your next birthday. Or maybe not. I don't know. But I do know that God made you so special. He has an extraordinary plan for your life. And I am so excited to watch how He uses you for His purposes and glory.

Just not too fast, okay. I need time to breathe. I still want to smell your wet hair as you curl up next to me after bathtime and we read stories. I want you to hold my hand when we are walking as long as you will let me. I want you to come running into the kitchen clutching your latest drawing that says, "I love my Mommy" for a whole lot longer.  

5 years ago I stared into the most beautiful face I had ever seen. And it just keeps getting more beautiful with each passing day. As I always tell you my precious Bennett, "Thank you for making me a Mommy. I love you. Happy 5th Birthday, baby.
 

 












2 comments:

Jennifer @ Belclaire House said...

I'm just wondering if you cried as hard writin this post as I am reading it. So sweet. Happy Birthday Bennett!

todell said...

Happy Birthday to Bennett!