Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Life, random stuff, and bedtime prayers gone awry.

When I picked my kids up from the church nursery tonight, I received the most back handed compliment I think I have ever received. This was the conversation I had with the lady who kept Will tonight.

Nursery worker: Wow, Will is really talking.
Me: Yeah, he's doing great.
Nursery worker: I mean he was almost speaking in sentences.
Me: Rob and I have counted 8 words at one time, so yeah, he's doing good.
Nursery Worker: Well, he does have Bennett as an older sister. I mean, I guess he's just trying to keep up. If he can get a word in edgewise.
Me: Thanks. I guess?

In other news, Bennett was declared the star student in her swim class. I will ignore the fact that there are only three other kids in her class and she's a year older than them. I'll take the compliment. She can now jump in the deep end and swim (with her floaties) half the length of the pool. Progress, folks.

I am working with Bennett on her Bible verses. Tonight she was reciting Philippians 4:13 when she asked me to tell her what that really meant. I said, "Well, it means that you can do anything because God will help you."

She thought about that for a split second and then she squeezed her eyes shut and said, "God, I need you to help me ride a horse, swim without my bubble, and don't let me grow up and be a Mommy because I don't want to leave my Mommy. Okay, that's it. Sweet dreams, Jesus."

Will started going to Adventure Camp this summer at our church. It is the first time he has ever been in any sort of program for any length of time. He's only been twice, but it's still so hard to watch him grow up. He's thrilled however. Here's a picture of my incredibly sweet boy looking way too grown up.



My parents were here for a wonderful week and I miss them so much already. Bennett and Will love spending time with their Grandaddy.

And their Grandmommy as well.

Riding bikes is more fun when you can show off to your Grandparents.

We've been spending lots of time outdoors. Hungry Hippos is a favorite.


We always grab our kites and head to the park whenever there is a windy day.

And Will got his face painted for the first time. He wasn't a very scary tiger. But I think he may have been the cutest one.


And as always, we just love to laugh. A lot. Words fail to describe how much I love these kids.

One final story. My little redheaded drama queen has a new phrase. Whenever she is frustrated with someone, she will beat on her chest, close her eyes and say, "You are just breaking my heart!" Today she told me that Will pushed her and that her little brother had just broken her heart in two.

It may be crazy, but it's always interesting.

2 comments:

Nate, Abbey, Noah, Blaire and Tatum said...

Funny!! Love the stories! And I would take that as a compliment for Bennett...she is pure talent I tell ya! Sweet girl.

starnes family said...

Great update. The picture with you holding Bennett is darling.

Will IS looking like a big boy!