Friday, March 27, 2009

We're Both Learning

My daughter fascinates me. I love watching her watch the world. She is learning new things every day and it is a joy to be a part of that. Rob really works with her on doing certain tasks. She knows now that she gets to open the garage door every time we leave. It is adorable. We walk into to the garage and she holds up one tiny finger and presses the button. As the door starts to rise, she says, "Bye-Bye." Every time. And then when we come home it is her job to close the door. She loves it.

We were in her nursery the other night playing before bed and Rob and I were discussing our days. All of a sudden we noticed that Bennett was standing in the middle of the room. Just standing by herself not holding onto anything. We both got quiet and I started whispering, "Get the video camera now" and then she fell and crawled over to her toys. But she has done it several time since then and she can stand alone unassisted for a good 20 seconds. It is amazing to see her learn new things and say new words every day. Her latest two words are "chicken" and "socks."

As I am watching my little girl grow and learn I realized that I am learning some lessons as well. These past few months have been hard. I can sometimes get really down and think about everything that has gone on in the past 6 months and everything that is still going on. I think about moving from my home, leaving a job I loved, leaving a house I loved, missing my and family terribly, going from working to being a stay at home Mom, being in a new area where I don't know anybody, being pregnant, knowing I will have to move again when our lease ends when I am 9 months pregnant, my grandmother becoming very ill and my not being there, being completely exhausted all the time but still trying to have energy for Bennett, ....... does it sound like I am having a huge pity party? Well I will confess that on some days I do. I feel overwhelmed with change and I am sure my hormones aren't helping, but some days it's hard.

But then I look at my sweet Bennett and all she is learning and so I turn to the Lord and ask for wisdom. I ask Him to teach me something as well. Something that will calm my fears and give me the peace I so desperately seek. And so I remember
1 Thessalonians 5:18 which says, "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." In ALL circumstances I am to give thanks.

And then for some reason, I am so mindful of all the blessings here in Kansas. We live in a fantastic area with great schools. I see so many sweet friends struggling with not being able to have a child and I feel ridiculously blessed to have one with another on the way. I am meeting so many incredible women with kids Bennett's age and I am really enjoying having lunch with a few of them and getting to know them better. I am able to regularly attend Bible Study which is something I couldn't do in Montgomery because of my work schedule. Rob loves his job and is happier than I have seen him in a long time. There are so many things to do around here and so many opportunities for Bennett. And I get the amazing privilege of being with my daughter every day and watching her grow and learn.

I could go on and on, but as Bennett learns to stand, say new words, and push garage door openers, I want to learn as well. I want to learn to rely on the Lord, to know that my joy and contentment can only come from Him alone, and mainly to "give thanks in all circumstances."

Learning along with my girl is a good thing.

1 comment:

Carmen Andres said...

this is one of the best things about being a mom. every night, when i look in on my kids, i remember just how lucky i am :)