Sunday, June 8, 2008

Thank you, John Ed

John Ed Mathison retired today after 36 years as our senior pastor. I just felt the need to write a little about John Ed since my husband and I have had the privilege and honor of working for him and also knowing him as a friend.
John Ed is one of the most humble persons that you will ever meet. He is one of the most well known pastors in America and you would never know it unless someone else told you. He is humble, funny, caring, and a great leader. I remember loving him as a little kid and being in awe of him somewhat. When we moved to the DC area when I was 12, I remember thinking that I would never find a preacher as good as John Ed. And I was right. I didn't.
He draws you in with his self deprecation and his humorous stories, but then he grabs you with his passion for making disciples and for sharing his love of Christ with his congregation. He always knows you by name and no matter how busy he is, he takes the time to stop you and talk to you and even tell you why he was thinking about you the other day. And for someone who leads a church of 9000, that's a big deal. Well, it is to me at least.
I thank John Ed for being a spiritual leader, a wonderful boss, and a dear friend. Below is a picture of John Ed when he came to see Bennett in the hospital. I pray she will have someone like John Ed in her life when she gets older.

No comments: